By Vishal Patel
When you work at Hydration HQ there are two questions you get asked, a lot.
1. How much Nuun should I drink? (Answered here)
2. When should I drink Nuun?
Just like all nutritional needs, your personal optimal usage will depend on a variety of factors such as frequency of your activity, the duration of your activity, environmental factors, and fitness. However, there are still three specific times that we recommend drinking Nuun: before training, during training, and after training.
3 reasons to drink Nuun before your training:
- Zero-sugar, no artificial flavors/colors eliminates many pre-race stomach issues, and avoids glucose spikes.
- High, complete electrolyte profile (Na, K, Mg, Ca, + Na Bicarbonate) helps keep muscles hydrated prior to exercise.
- Electrolyte based water can help retain fluid, and keep electrolytes flowing within bloodstream – plain water can often flush such critical nutrients out of your system.
3 reasons to drink Nuun during your training:
- Separating nutrition & hydration – Nuun’s low calorie, zero sugar products allows athletes to use alternate products for their caloric needs.
- Zero-sugar, low calorie decreases the occurrence of overconsumption of calories (from fluids)
- Optimal electrolyte profile helps the athlete replace nutrients lost via sweat, for example Sodium Bicarbonate can help buffer lactic acid, and delay onset of fatigue.
3 reasons to drink Nuun after your training:
- Replenish lost fluids and electrolytes helps restore energy levels to get you ready for the next workout.
- Research has shown that caffeine helps the recovery process by re-generating glycogen (stored fuel) – try our caffeine enhanced Cherry Limeade!
- Promotes post-exercise fluid intake – without sacrificing added calories.
As a general rule of thumb: drink towards thirst (without exceeding 20 oz per hour), when exercising longer than 90 minutes, look to take in some sort of carbohydrate rich energy source (gels, chews, bars, etc.), and be sure to replenish lost fluids post-workout.
Posted in Hydration, Life, Nutrition, Nuun
Tagged dehydration, electrolytes, fitness, health, hydration, Nuun, Nuun Love, training
By Vishal Patel
Consuming an adequate amount of water every day can serve many roles in keeping your body functioning properly. Here at the top 10 things that water does to keep your body healthy and functioning:
Nuunbassador Kevin always keeps a bottle of water and a Nuun tab by his side to make sure he stays hydrated.
10 Roles Water plays in Your Body
- Lubricates joints & cushions organs and tissues
- Helps digest food – through saliva, water helps absorb nutrients
- Transports Glucose, Oxygen, Fats and other nutrients to working muscles
- Muscle Glycogen contains a significant amount of water
- Diverts metabolic by-products (CO2 + Lactic Acid)
- Eliminates waste through urine
- Releases heat through sweat
- Serves as a coolant in extreme weather conditions
- 2/3 of your BODY is Water!
- You Can’t Live Without It!! Well sort of, you can’t go about three days without water
The easiest way start taking the right steps towards a healthy lifestyle is just to simply drink more water. Consider replacing sugary soft drinks and fruit juices, with plain water, or try Nuun All Day!
Before and after a long run, make the most of your water by adding Nuun to replenish electrolytes lost through sweat.
Reminder: If you’re not sure how much you should be drinking per day for optimal healthy, check out some of our other recent blogs:
Winter Hydration for Health
Winter Hydration for Athletes
Electrolytes & Hydration
Hydration Basics (Take a Sweat Test!)
1. Clark, N. (2008). Sports nutrition guidebook. 4th ed., Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics.
2. Ryan, M. (2012). Sports nutrition for endurance athletes. 3rd ed. Boulder, CO: VeloPress
3. Fink, H.H, Burgoon, L.A, Mikesky, A.E. (2009). Practical applications in sports nutrition. 2nd ed., pp 220-254. Sudbury, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers, LLC.
4. IOM DRI’s for Water: http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/Nutrition/DRIs/DRI_Electrolytes_Water.pdf
As the official hydration partner of the Ragnar Relay Series – and Ragnar Trail Relays, too – we have a responsibility to make sure that you stay hydrated during your 200 mile adventure!
As always, we’ll be on course this year serving Nuun at major exchange 6 and the finish line, where you can also get your limited edition Nuun/Ragnar bottle.
But we’re also giving away a #TEAMNUUN Hydration Kit to the first 3 teams to register for each 2014 race using promo code ‘teamnuun’ at checkout!
After your registration is submitted you’ll be contacted by Nuun if you received a Team Hydration Kit as your Relay approaches. And don’t forget, the promo code cannot be applied to existing teams or combined with any additional promotions.
Races that still have #teamnuun spots available are: Zion, Chicago, Snowmass, Appalachians, NWP, Colorado, Great River, Washington DC, Napa Valley, Adirondacks, Vail Lake, Hill Country TX, Tennessee, McDowell Mtn, Las Vegas.
We look forward to seeing you on the roads and trails!
We can’t wait until March for sunnier Seattle skies, more hours of daylight to get outside, and being one step closer to summertime.
But also, because we have a new product hitting shelves!
Any guesses on what our new product is? Let us know in the comments section below.