By Vishal Patel
We can’t stress enough how important it is to pay attention to your hydration status. Not just in the winter months, but throughout the year! Taking in the right amount of fluids is not just important for athletes, but for everyone who wants to feel healthy and at their best.
How much should I drink to stay healthy?
We wrote a blog post a couple months back addressing fluid intake among children. The study highlighted in the blog pointed out that children have an alarmingly low intake of fluids, but the same can be said in regards to adults! The Institute of Medicine (IOM) states that healthy males should intake about 115 ounces of water per day, and healthy women should aim for about 104 ounces of water per day (2). These recommendations don’t change just because it’s colder outside, and in fact cold weather can dehydrate you more quickly than more mild temperatures.
We recommend that you track your fluid intake at least a few days per week to monitor how close you’re getting to the average goal.
Why is hydration so important even when I’m not active?
Drinking enough water or healthy beverages can contribute greatly to your overall health. Water can help speed up absorption of many nutrients. It can also help boost your immune system, which is crucial during the winter months. It can prevent any decreases in energy, and there is strong evidence indicating water can help decrease the risk of many chronic diseases (1).
Water can be boring, so one up your water with Nuun!
It can be difficult to find a drink that is truly healthy, and that provides essential nutrients without the sugars. And we know as well as you do, water can get boring.
Nuun has 3 different products to help you stay hydrated day in and day out, whether it’s a long day on the bike or in the office.
Nuun Active Hydration, our flagship product, is best for pre, during, and post-sports and intense activity. But when your electrolytes are topped off – or for health reasons – sometimes you want fewer electrolytes and more essential vitamins and minerals.
So what’s the best healthy hydration choice for a long day of travel, meetings, or between training sessions when you want fluids but don’t need electrolytes?
Nuun IS Hydration – Nuun All Day
How does All Day differ from out Active Hydration Line?
- Nuun All Day contains 18 all-natural vitamins and minerals
- With a minimal emphasis on electrolytes, All Day contains an optimal blend of Vitamins A, B, C, D, E as well as, Potassium, Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc.
- Sweetened with all-natural Stevia, All Day yields a mere 7 calories per serving!
Nuun’s Healthy Hydration Tips:
- Keep a water bottle in your car, at your desk, etc – Easy reminder to drink up!
- Aim for 12-16 oz of water during meals
- Try NUUN All Day Grapefruit Orange instead of OJ in the mornings!
- Drink 10-12 oz of water first thing in the morning – body gets slightly dehydrated during sleep
- Be sure to re-hydrate with NUUN after long days of travel!
- Monitor urine color – Best indicator on whether or not you are drinking enough, or too much; color should be pale, not clear or overly yellow
- Don’t force the habit, let an increase in fluid consumption come naturally